The B-17 Flying Fortress is the best-known American bomber of World War II.
Heavy losses in 1943, when a total of 120 bombers was shot down, lead to the
conclusion that previous B-17 versions carried insufficient defensive armament.
As a consequence, the front lower nose of the B-17G was equipped with a turret
carrying two 12,7 mm machine guns, providing an effective defense against the
feared frontal attacks. Simultaneously, supplementary gun positions were added
to the fuselage sides. The crew now being able to defend itself in all
directions resulted in a sense of safety, which was also reflected in its
nickname "Flying Fortress". Although it was mainly used over Europe and the Near
East, it also delivered invaluable services in the Pacific theatre while flying
sea patrol, reconnaissance and bombing missions. A total of 12.731 "Flying
Fortress" was built of which 8.680 machines were G versions. The last B-17G left
the factory on July 29, 1945. This B-17G-35-VE 42-97880 "Little Miss Mischief"
was delivered on 23 March 1944 and served from 15 June 1944 till 4 April 1945
with the 91st Bomb Group, 324th Bomb Squadron in Bassingbourn, England and
having flown 75 operational missions.
- New model
- Detailed surface structure with engraved panel lines
cockpit with side consoles and instrument panel
- Separate seats
Complete bomb bay with bomb racks
- 4 boms
- Rotating chin turret
Bomb aiming equipment with seat in nose
- Detailed radio/navigation
compartment with radio boxes
- Side windows options for machine guns
Rotating ball turret;- Detailed upper machine gun turret
- Optional clear
parts for front, cockpit and central upper machine gun positions
- 2 optional
tail machine gun positions
- Separate tail fin
- Wings can be built with
landing flaps lowered
- 4 detailed radial engines with exhaust gas ring
Cooling gills ring can be built open or closed
- Separate air intake ducts
- Separate elevator and rudder
- Transfers for 2 USAAF versions: "Little Miss
Mischief" and "Nine-O-Nine"